The Emotional Driver: Appreciation and Expectation

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Appreciation and Expectation

A and E

Where would I be if I was living without high A and low E?
Appreciating everything around me and what I have
What I can do and who is in my life

And expecting little
Little to ask for and little in return

For appreciation can come in high measured doses
From little acts of gratitude to the people who raised you
And expectation is dribbled out from an eye dropper
With little forethought in any given situation

Maybe my clarity has sharpened, honed if you will, to a fine razor edge
And even the quotidian can seem full of color
While what use to seem exciting and life blood giving
Is now remembered as dull and gray

But how to find appreciation in comforts known not here
Of adventures with expectations held low but still not met
Oh lord appreciate somehow my state
Of excess without mess or stale breath

For upon arriving to the place of appreciation
I find the comfort just knowing that all I have
Is enough, it is enough
And in contentment I bask

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"high A and low E" seems to be something bordering on the impossible these days.
I find the best way is just to slow down and smell the roses so to speak. Turn every moment, every sip of coffee and every meal into a celebration of what has passed and what is to come.

The difficulty there, however, is that in order to survive you need to rush, rush, rush to earn enough cash to keep a roof over you head and food on the table.
It almost seems like hoping to earn enough to have the basics is a high expectation these days.