The Emotional Driver: Substitute Sister

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Substitute Sister

A long time gone but not forgotten
Are you still living somewhere?
A face hardly remembered but still in my memory
Where are the all pictures?

Even though you have left you linger in me
Even though you aren't here you're in my family tree

Even though you were older I wanted to protect
And be that bigger brother and garner your respect

And stop the bullies from bothering you
And kick the ass of boys who tried more than kissing you

And tell you stories about love and about life
And tell you what I hope for when you become a wife

So, where do we go from here?
Will I see you at graduation?
Are we going to go to each others weddings?
Are you going to stay in my life as a sister when you become a wife?

I miss having Debbie
But I'm glad I have you
For God brings only to us
What we can endure

And with that simple phrase
And a blessing of grace
I now have a sister
But with a new face

Let's keep in touch
And keep our pretend family intact
For I don't want to miss your life
And that is, from my heart, a fact

No comments: